- Check the dipstick regularly and change the oil as recommended by your owner’s manual and your driving behavior.
- The engine oil lubricates, cleans and cools critical parts of the engine.
- Changing the oil and filter keeps your engine clean.
- Be sure to properly dispose of used oil if you change the oil yourself.
- Americans use more than a billion gallons of motor oil each year.
- A single gallon of used oil, if improperly managed, has the potential to contaminate up to one million gallons of drinking water.
- Use the correct weight and class of oil for your car. Oil “class” such as SG is important as more recent oil classes lubricate better and may improve fuel efficiency. This information is usually found in the owner’s manual and on the fill cover.